France Métropolitaine - Section S - Juin 2003
1. Give the names of the main characters.
There are only two characters in this text : the narrator and his friend
2. The area where the adventure starts has been abandoned for
about 100 years. Tick the right answer and justify it by quoting from
A century before the upper valley had been well populated"
3. When do the main characters find themselves in the following
Fill in the grid.
"One afternoon [...] was planning"
"...it would be safer [...] on the veranda"
"In the days [...] and began to ..."
"in the days that followed"
4. Who or what do the underlined pronouns refer to ?
"Chris and I went to the valley" : the narrator
"the boat he was planning" : Chris
"we came upon" : the narrator and Chris
"sail in her to the west" : the boat
"we uncovered more of it" : the skeleton
5.What do the main characters find ? Tick the right answer.
the skeleton of a swan
a human skeleton
the skeleton of a great bird
a Melanesian boat
6. a. The two characters do not agree on what to do with their discovery. Justify this statement by two quotations. (Focus on the sentences from "We scraped [...] " to " [...] for a thousand years.").
The two characters do not agree on what to do with their discovery ; According to the narrator, it’s better to not move the skeleton ("We shouldn't move it") whereas his friend Chris thinks that its not necessary to be so careful, as no one is around (that is to say, neither police officers nor archaeologists) "Who is there to show it to?"
b. What decision is finally made ? Answer in your own words. (20 words).
They finally decide to take the bones and carry them to their house, to fit them together, away from any danger.
7. Are the two characters scientists ? Justify your answer by
quoting from the text.
" The way we imagined scientists did"
8. "We worked on the moa late into the evenings".
What does this sentence imply about their task?
Explain in your own words. (20 words).
Their task was far to be easy and it demanded a lot of time, patience and carefulness. They had to be very meticulous to succeed.
9. Analyse the feelings of the two characters at the end of the
Justify your answer by quoting the text. (30 words).
The two characters were very frustrated and undecided
about the plan to give the bird its true shape : they thought
they didn’t succeed in fitting the bones together correctly.
Quotations : "We sat in front of
"Are you sure you didn't make a mistake with the numbering ?"
Tu es sûr de n’avoir fait aucune erreur de numérotation ? dis-je. Chris me fixa du regard un instant sans dire un mot, puis il se retourna vers l'oiseau. Si seulement je n'avais rien dit !